09 Oct OCTOBER 2016 SOUTHIE OF THE MONTH – JULIE AGGUS
Name: Julie Aggus
Family: Ben (husband), Rand (17), Samuel (8), and Matthew (5)
Length of time doing CrossFit: 2 years, 6 months, 13 days
Favorite program at TTS: CrossFit and Olympic Lifting Class
- What is your favorite athletic/fitness memory or achievement? So many to choose from! I remember my first pull-up, handstand push-up and bar muscle-up as major milestones. However, mastering double-unders is probably my biggest achievement. Doing three single-unders for each dub in workouts got old really fast. After many, many months (ok, years) of failed attempts and whip marks, I finally got there. If you fully understood my lack of coordination, you would know just what a triumph this is.
2. What is one goal you would like to achieve at TTS this year? The ring muscle-up remains elusive. Not sure if it will happen by the end of this year, but one day I hope to get it. I’m also training for my first full marathon in November. I have run half marathons for the last 15 years, but this will be my first full!
3. What workout or movement do you look forward to the most? I love running and burpees and reallllllly long chippers. I may not be the fastest or the strongest, but I can outlast almost anyone. The squat clean is my favorite lift.
4. What would surprise most people about you? Two truths and a lie (you have to guess which is which). (A) I went through a heavy metal / grunge phase where I wore ripped jeans and concert t-shirts exclusively and would ‘mosh’ at concerts. (B) I once weighed 180 pounds on my tiny 5’ 4” frame. (C) I am a former competitive fisherwoman, in 2005 advancing to bass fishing’s biggest stage the Bassmaster Classic.
5. What is your favorite activity/hobbies? Besides CrossFit (of course), I enjoy hanging out with my family, running, going on adventures, experimenting in the kitchen, giving unsolicited relationship advice, and online shopping.